Skip to main content

Breakthrough Club receives $107,176 for housing assistance

Breakthrough Club, a local nonprofit dedicated to helping people with mental illness rebuild their lives, recently received a $97,176 Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) grant provided by the Kansas Housing Resource Corporation (KHRC) to provide rental assistance to several Sedgwick County residents with severe mental illness. To supplement this housing grant, Goebel Star Lumber in Wichita contributed $10,000 to subsidize the cost of administering the grant to the applicants. Applications will be accepted for low-income individuals with mental illness looking for housing assistance on Tuesday, October 18th.
“We’re very happy to be able to offer this assistance for another year thanks to the KHRC, and very grateful that Goebel Star Lumber is assisting with the administrative costs. It’s very important to make sure that people with mental illness have safe, affordable housing, and we’re very glad to ensure that this kind of housing can be made available to them [through this grant].” Breakthrough Housing Specialist Jill Quigley said.

To qualify for this assistance, individuals must:

• Earn 60% or less of the median income for Sedgwick County

• Pay more than 50% of income for rent

• Be diagnosed by a psychiatrist of a Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP) with a Severe and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI), as defined by Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS), documented on a SPMI determination form (SPMI determination forms are available by calling 269-2534 ext 125 or online at

Breakthrough will be accepting applications for the TBRA waiting list on Tuesday, October 18 from 8:30am to 12:30pm at Breakthrough at 1010 N. Main. To sign up, individuals must bring copies of the following:

• Proof of income (pay stubs, social security statement, etc.) for all members in the home, including any children receiving social security.

• Proof of identification: social security card and photo ID for all members of household, birth certificate for all children under 18.

• Signed SPMI determination form from a Psychiatrist or QMHP.

• Proof of rent: copy of lease, rent receipt, sign Verification of Homelessness

For more information about TBRA, please contact Jill Quigley at 269-2534 ext. 125 or

Breakthrough is an equal opportunity rental assistance provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, national origin, age and marital or parental status. Individuals do not need to be affiliated with Breakthrough to qualify for TBRA.

  • 35th Anniversary
    35th Anniversary
  • United Way
    United Way